30 years from today the venue, spot in close proximity to Nallur Kandaswamy Temple. A lean figure waves goodbye to his people.
A saintly looking mother place the symbolical veera Thilakam on his forehead as if to welcome him to where he belongs. He embarked a special stage to begin his challenge against the 4th biggest Army in the world with 5 Demands:
- Release all those who were detained under PTA!
- Appoint interim council until proper council take over at Provincial Council !
- Stop the colonization of Sinhala people in the North under the guise of resettlement!
- Repeal Emergency Law completely !
- Do not open new Police Stations and Army camps!
For twelve days he melted his body sans few feet of internal bowels, and finally embraced a hero’s death on 26 September 1987. The Indian Government was scornful of the struggle of Lt.Col.Thileepan, but it never dreamed that he will defeat their champion in Mahatma Ghandi.
The Tamil Diplomat joins the multitude in Saluting the great Non-violent Champion.