In reply to a question of Colombo journalist Justice Wignewswaran had said that
* Mahavamsam is not a Historical Book.
* What perpetrated against Tamils is Genocide !
* No Sinhalese Leader can give a reasonable solution to the problems of the Tamils.
Mahindha Rajapakse who had said recently that only he could give a solution to Tamil, don’t know the problems of the Tamils.
No Sinhalese leader can give a reasonable solution to Tamils unless they accept the following. However their ignorance and arrogance will not allow them to accept them:
- The ancient tribes of Ceylon are Tamil Hindus. There is no confusion in it.
- They had lived in the West, North and East of Sri Lanka continuously for more than 3,000 years.
- Mahavamsam is not a historical book. It was written in Pali. When it was written, neither the Sinhala Language nor the Sinhalese were in existence.
- Sinhala evolved into a language only in either 6thcentury AD or 7th Century AD.
- Until the British integrated the country, Tamil people formed kingdoms for themselves and lived in North and East for more than 3,000 years. Although, tributes were paid some times to Kandy Kingdom, people who lived in the East were Tamils.
- What perpetrated against Tamils is Genocide !
Our people will pursue their struggle until they get their rights. The international pressure is ever increasing on Sri Lanka, economy is on a decline and they are subjected to a fear psychosis that if they do not make some agreement with the Tamil they may become a satellite state of some foreign country. Sinhalese brothers and sisters are making them understand about the genocide. We could expect a good solution in a few years, he had said.
Note by our Jaffna Correspondent: In his Foreword to Geiger’s (Official) translation of Mahavamsam, Critic Smith had condemned Mahavamsam as a bundle of contradictions and Geiger to this day had not disputed Smith’s criticism.