Tamil Diplomat

Iraq parents’ horror at baby unit fire deaths

Parents of premature babies who died in a hospital fire in the Iraqi capital Baghdad have spoken of their loss, with one saying she could not recognise the remains given to her. “I found my baby charred,” she said.

Officials said at least 12 newborn babies died in a blaze that was probably caused by an electrical fault, and took three hours to put out. Eight other children and 29 women had to be moved from the unit and transferred to nearby hospitals.

It happened in the maternity unit of the Yarmouk Hospital in the west of the city. Electrical fires are common in Iraq because of shoddy maintenance and poor wiring, and a lack of fire escapes often adds to the danger.(BBC,2016)