Jakarta’s chief of police has said Indonesia is hunting terror cells believed to be behind Thursday’s attack on the capital. Two civilians and five attackers died in the gun and bomb assault in a busy commercial district. Insp Gen Tito Karnavian said the attackers had been “neutralised” but were linked to groups across Indonesia and were “part of a global network”.
The Islamic State (IS) militant group has said it was behind the attack. It released a statement online saying it had been carried out by “soldiers of the Caliphate”, targeting “citizens of the Crusader coalition” against the group. Three men were arrested near Jakarta early on Friday, police told local media. It was not immediately clear whether they had direct links the attacks. Authorities have named Bahrum Naim, an Indonesian believed to be fighting with IS in Syria, as the suspected co-ordinator (BBC News, 2016).