Three car bombs have ripped through the eastern Libyan city of Qubbah, killing 40 people and wounding 70, according to security officials and medics.
Militants claiming loyalty to Islamic State (Isis) said their fighters had been responsible for the suicide attacks, according to a statement posted on social media.
The militants “killed and wounded tens of people in revenge for the bloodshed of Muslims in the city of Derna”, said the statement issued by “Islamic State, Cyrenaica province”.
On Monday, Egypt launched air strikes on suspected Isis targets in Derna, a day after the group released a video showing the killing of Egyptian Coptic Christian workers.
Three bombs exploded at a petrol station, the local security headquarters and the town council headquarters in Qubbah.
“We are announcing seven days of mourning for the victims of Qubbah,” Libya’s parliamentary speaker, Aguila Saleh told al-Arabiya television. “I think this operation was revenge for what happened in Derna.”