The Mulaitheevu District underwent severe tribulations and lost several thousand of it residents due to the Tsunami disaster of 2004.
The commemorations of the kins lost in the Tsunami were held in several places of Mulaitheevu Districts.
Thus the main commemoration was held at the Memorial shrine for the victims locate at the Mulaitheevu beach at 8.00 a.m. with an all-religious worship.
Tsunami commemoration was held at the lagoon near the main bridge at Mannar. Another event was held at Mannar Sathypuram children park.
Commemoration was held at the memorial tower constructed at Poonthottam in memory of Tsunami victims.
Puthukudiyiruppu – Mulaitheevu
At the memorial at Puthukudiyiruppu presided by MP, Sivamohan.
Homage were paid also at the following places.
* Jaffna University.
* Thelipallai Divisional Office.
* Kallady Thiruchenthur area in Batticaloa where large number of people lost their lives.
* Kalmunai Mamangam area where 596 persons died.
* Hill country people pay their homage to Tsunamy victims, in front of the Buddha statue in Hatton.
* Manmunai Onthachchimada memorial located on the Beach road. 44 relatives lost their lives here.