Ilankai Tamil Arasuk Kadchi, Tamizh Makkal Kootani, EPRLF, TELO and PLOT have signed in a general agreement prepared by University students on a general stance the Tamil People should take. Although the Tamil National People’s Front has said that it agrees with the terms of the agreement, they are not signing the agreement as their suggestion of rejecting the interim constitution for unitary state system is not added to the agreement.
The meeting organized by the university students was held at ‘Bright Inn’ Hotel near University of Jaffna. Following representatives participated in it.
ITAK: Mawai Senathyrasa, M.A. Sumanthiran, C.V.K. Sivagnanam.
TMK : C.V. Wigneswaran, K.Arunthavabalan, T. Sitparan
TNPF : Gajendrakumar Ponnampalam, S.Kajendran, V.Manivannan, K.Sugas.
PLOT : T.Siththarthan, P.Kajatheepan.
TELO : Selvam Adaikalanathan, N.Srikantha, Saba Kugathas
EPRLF : Suresh Premacheandran.
Right from the outset lot of arguments occurred with TNPF insisting on the rejection of interim constitution on unitary State.
Finally, five parties signed the agreement with the exception of TNPF.
Chief among the demands are:
1) Reject Unitary State in the new Constitution and establish a Federal State for Tamils.
2) Refer Sri Lanka to International Criminal Court (ICC) or to a specially created International Criminal Tribunal for Sri Lanka, for the War Crimes, Crimes Against Humanity and Genocide Committed against Tamil People.
3) Sri Lankan Security Forces should vacate all the lands they occupied since the war started and the lands be returned to the rightful owners.
4) Stop Government sponsored /assisted Sinhalese colorizations from Northern and Eastern Provinces.
5) Repeal Prevention of Terrorism Act (PTA).
6) Unconditionally Release all Tamil political Prisoners.
7) Create an International Mechanism to address the issue of the Disappeared Tamils.