More than one gunman was involved in the terrorist massacre in Tunisia, witnesses have claimed, as four Britons seriously injured in the shooting were flown home.
The accounts cast doubt on the sketchy version of Friday’s killings in Sousse given by the Tunisian authorities. They have so far said the attack at Imperial Marhaba beach hotel was carried out by a single terrorist, Seiffeddine Rezgui, who killed 38 people in a gun and grenade assault before being shot dead.
British tourists who survived Friday’s attack on a beach in Sousse said they saw a second man carrying a gun.
Richard Slater, who survived the attack after sheltering in a cupboard in a beach shop, said he was told that one of the attackers came in from the sea on a jet ski.
Speaking to BBC Radio 4’s Today programme, he said he couldn’t be certain about the number of gunmen but was told by local shopkeepers and staff in his hotel that two attackers were shot, one was arrested and another was still at large.
Steve Johnson, a retired police officer, told the Daily Mirror he saw “a man in red shorts machine-gunning someone on a sun lounger. He was 20 yards away from us.”
Other witnesses have described a man in red shorts, possibly a member of the coastguard, firing a handgun at Rezgui: “He was trying to fire it at the guy, but it was like he didn’t know how to get the safety catch off or something,” said Aymen Khalifa Belhaj.
Witnesses have also described a gunman with long black hair and a beardshooting at them.
The Tunisian authorities have given little information about the attack but have so far insisted that Rezgui acted alone after being helped by accomplices who were not at the scene. Seven men allegedly linked to Rezgui have been arrested. (The Guardian)