1 medium whole Free range chicken with skin
2 tsp corriander seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
10 dry red chilli (use only 5 for mild or 15 for extra hot)
10-12 curry leaves
1 tsp black whole pepper
1 tsp garlic paste
1 tsp ginger paste
1 lemon juice
3 tbsp plain yogurt
1 tsp turmeric powder
salt to taste
1) Rinse chicken thoroughly inside and out under cold running water and pat dry with towel.
2) Pre-heat the oven to 230oc.
3) In a non stick pan add: corriander, fennel, cumin, cloves, cardoman, chilli, black whole pepper, curry leaves and dry roast this for about 5 minutes on the cooker, stir frequently. Once you can smell the aroma of the spices turn off the heat and let it cool for about 10 minutes.
4) In a spice grinder – grind the roasted spices until you get a powder texture and leave aside.
5) Score the skin of the chicken at 5mm intervals, front and back. The cut needs to be deep enough to cut the skin but should not cut the meat below.
6) Separately In a large bowl – add turmeric powder, salt to taste, garlic and ginger paste, lemon juice, oil, yogurt and the ground spice (prepared in step 4). Add your scored chicken into this mixture and rub in the spices, using your fingers. Make sure your full chicken has been coated with the spice.
7) Place the spiced chicken onto a roasting tray, breast side up. Place the tray in the preheated oven and roast for 90 minutes, this will give you a perfectly roasted chicken. To check, pierce the thigh muscle with a skewer and the juices should run clear and the chicken is no longer pink.
8) Let it stand for 15-20 minutes before carving.
9) Serve the spiced chicken with steamed vegetables, roast potatoes and gravy.