An 18-year-old implicated alongside two brothers in the bloody attack against satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo in Paris on Wednesday has surrendered to police, according to a source close to the case.
“Hamyd Mourad handed himself in to police… on Wednesday at 11 pm (2200 GMT) after seeing his name circulating on social media,” the source told AFP. “He has been arrested and taken into custody,” another source confirmed.
Meanwhile French police published photos of the remaining suspects as they launched an appeal to the public for information.
Paris police said arrest warrants had been issued for Cherif Kouachi, 32 and his 34-year-old brother Said who were “likely armed and dangerous”.
In northeastern France a raid by an anti-terrorist squad continued into the early hours of Thursday morning as part of the hunt for the gunmen.
Local television and amateur images showed black-clad sharpshooters from the elite police unit in the streets of Reims, in France’s Champagne region.
Several thousand police were deployed to find the gunmen and parts of the French capital were in lockdown as the killers remained on the loose.
Either the suspects will be able to escape, or “there will be a showdown,” a member of the police unit deployed in Reims reportedly told AFP. Journalists were urged to “remain vigilant”.