Chelsea have begun an investigation into allegations of historical sexual abuse concerning an individual who was employed by the club in the 1970s. The Premier League club says the former employee in question is dead. The club says it will provide “all possible assistance” to the Football Association (FA), which is conducting its own investigation into the issue.
This will include providing the FA with “any relevant information arising from the club’s investigation”, it said. It comes after more than 20 ex-footballers have made allegations of child sex abuse, with several police investigations also under way. Police have received more than 250 calls relating to allegations of abuse, Culture Secretary Karen Bradley told the Commons on Tuesday.
In addition, a hotline set up last week by children’s welfare charity the NSPCC received more than 50 calls in its first two hours. Earlier on Tuesday, FA chairman Greg Clarke said the sport’s child sex abuse scandal is one of the biggest crises in the history of the organisation.
Meanwhile, Sports Minister Tracey Crouch has written to more than 40 sporting governing bodies asking them to look into whether there are any historical allegations of abuse “that would merit investigation or reinvestigation”. She also urged them to make sure their child protection protocols are “as robust as possible”.(BBC,2016)