Search
Sunday 20 August 2017
  • :
  • :

Police hunt suspect of Dortmund bus blast

Police hunt suspect of Dortmund bus blast

German investigators hunted today for possible suspects responsible for three explosions that rocked Dortmund football team’s bus, injuring a player.The assault, described by Dortmund city’s police chief as a “targeted attack” against the team, shook German football ahead of crucial Champion League ties this week.Investigations will focus on a letter claiming responsibility for the attack that was found close to the site of the blasts.

“The letter claims responsibility for what happened,” prosecutor Sandra Luecke said late Tuesday, telling journalists that “its authenticity is being verified”.German authorities have held off from describing it as a terror attack, saying that it is too early to determine the motive.But Germany has been on high alert since a series of jihadist attacks last year, including the Christmas market truck assault in Berlin in December that claimed 12 lives.The explosives detonated minutes after Borussia Dortmund’s team bus pulled away Tuesday from the squad’s hotel and headed for their quarter-final, first-leg, tie against Monaco.

Spanish international Marc Bartra underwent surgery on a broken wrist after he was hit by flying glass.The quarter-final match will now be played on Wednesday evening, just hours before another Champions League clash in Germany between Bayern Munich and Real Madrid.“We are assuming that they were a targeted attack against the Dortmund team,” said the western German city’s police chief Gregor Lange, adding however that it did not amount to an organised terror assault(THE INDIAN EXPRESS,2017).


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *